About Home Insurance

Home insurance protects your property’s structure and contents against loss, theft or damage caused by flooding, fire, storms, subsidence and escaped water.

Depending on whether you own the whole building that you live in or not will depend on whether you need just contents insurance or both contents and building cover.

What’s Covered?

Depending on your policy, most of the following are items that you will be able to claim repair or replacement costs for:

  • Furniture, such as sofas, chairs, tables, beds and wardrobes
  • Gadgets, such as mobile phones, tablets, cameras and games consoles
  • Refrigerated or frozen food that spoils if your fridge or freezer stops working
  • Homeware, including kettles toasters, microwaves, pots and pans
  • Vinyl records, CDs, DVDs, games and books
  • Garden contents, like tools, plants, fencing, sheds, pipes, cables and drains
  • Broken windows, doors or locks as a result of theft or vandalism
  • The cost of rebuilding your home

Landlord Insurance

If you are a landlord then you will need to have Landlord insurance. This provides cover for your property – both the building itself and any furnishings you’ve provided.

Some policies also protect your rental income and cover your liabilities if your tenants are injured on your property and you are deemed to be at fault.

Landlord insurance differs from normal home insurance as it provides a greater level of cover, including some or all of the following:

  • Accidental damage
  • Malicious damage
  • Employer’s liability
  • Property owner’s liability
  • Unoccupied property cover
  • Loss of rent

If you are taking out a buy to let mortgage, your lender may require you to have Landlord insurance to qualify for the loan and in some cases standard home insurance might be invalidated if your property is let to tenants.

Contact one of our expert advisers today to find out more about the type of home insurance that is best for you.